Cobb County, GA
Cobb County is a suburban county in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2015, the population was 741,334, making it Georgia's third-most populous county. Its county seat and largest city is Marietta.
Cobb, along with several adjoining counties, was created on December 3, 1832, by the Georgia General Assembly from the huge Cherokee "county" territory—land northwest of the Chattahoochee River which the state confiscated from the Cherokee Nation and redistributed to settlers via lottery, following the passage of the federal Indian Removal Act. The county was named for Thomas Willis Cobb, a United States representative and senator from Georgia. It is believed Marietta was named for his wife, Mary.
Cobb County is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is situated immediately to the northwest of Atlanta's city limits.
Its Cumberland District, an edge city, has over 24,000,000 square feet (2,200,000 m2) of office space. As of 2017, Major League Baseball's Atlanta Braves play in Cumberland. The U.S. Census Bureau ranks Cobb County as the most-educated in the state of Georgia and 12th among all counties in the United States. It has ranked among the top 100 wealthiest counties in the United States.
- Cobb County School District (serves all county locations except the city of Marietta)
- Marietta City Schools (serves city of Marietta locations)
- Cumberland Christian Academy, Austell (K-12)
- Dominion Christian Schools, Marietta (Middle School-12)
- Midway Covenant Christian School, Powder Springs (preK-12)
- Mount Paran Christian School, Kennesaw (preK-12)
- North Cobb Christian School, Kennesaw (K-12)
- Shreiner Academy, Marietta (preK-8)
- The Walker School, Marietta (preK-12)
- Whitefield Academy, Mableton (preK-12)
The Cobb County School District is Cobb County's largest employer, employing over 15,000 people. Private corporations include:
- The Home Depot Atlanta Store Support Center, world headquarters
- The Weather Channel headquarters
- InTown Suites headquarters
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Plant, located next to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in unincorporated Cobb.
- Kool Smiles (Marietta)
- General Electric's Energy Management business headquarters
Search Cobb County, GA Homes for Sale
Last updated on Aug 25, 2019 1:31:am.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
© 2019 Georgia MLS. All rights reserved.
Today's Market Trends for Cobb County, GA *
* All data pertains to single-family homes