Dekalb County, GA
DeKalb County is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area. It contains roughly 10% of the city of Atlanta.
In recent years, some communities in North DeKalb have incorporated, following a trend in other suburban areas around Metro Atlanta. Dunwoody and Brookhaven are now the largest cities entirely within the county.
Major employers in DeKalb County include:
- AT&T Mobility, headquartered in the Lenox Park neighborhood of Brookhaven
- Cox Communications, headquartered at 1400 Lake Hearn Drive in Dunwoody, the third-largest cable television service provider in the United States
- Emory Healthcare, located off of Clifton Road
- Emory University, located off of Clifton Road
- Kroger, which operates its Atlanta-area offices at 2175 Parklake Drive NE in Northlake
The portion of DeKalb County not within the city of Atlanta or the city of Decatur is served by DeKalb County School District (formerly DeKalb County School System). The Atlanta portion is served by Atlanta Public Schools. The Decatur portion is served by Decatur City School District.
On December 17, 2012, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools announced that it had downgraded the DeKalb County Schools System's status from "on advisement" to "on probation" and warned the school system that the loss of their accreditation was "imminent."
Private schools in DeKalb County include:
- Atlanta Jewish Academy Upper School (former Yeshiva Atlanta) in Doraville
- Benjamin Franklin Academy (unincorporated area)
- Marist School (Brookhaven)
- Mohammed Schools (unincorporated area)
- Paideia School (Atlanta)
- Saint Thomas More Catholic Elementary & Middle School (Decatur)
- St. Pius X Catholic High School (unincorporated area)
- Friends School of Atlanta (Decatur)
- Waldorf School of Atlanta (Decatur)
Emory University is a private, coeducational, liberal arts university. It is a member of the Association of American Universities, an association of leading research universities in the US and Canada. The university consists of the following divisions: Emory College of Arts and Science, the Laney Graduate School, Candler School of Theology, Goizueta Business School, Emory University School of Law, Rollins School of Public Health, and the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing.
Mercer University is a private, coeducational, faith-based university with a Baptist heritage. Its main campus is in Macon. The Cecil B. Day Graduate and Professional Campus is in DeKalb County; it houses the College of Nursing, the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, and the James and Carolyn McAfee School of Theology along with programs of the Eugene W. Stetson School of Business and Economics, the School of Medicine, and the Tift College of Education.
Georgia Perimeter College (formerly DeKalb College) has three campuses within the county and offers two-year associate degrees.
Georgia Piedmont Technical College (formerly DeKalb Technical College) is the largest vocational institution in Georgia.
DeVry University offers bachelor's and master's degrees in healthcare, accounting, business, and management technology.
Search Dekalb County, GA Homes for Sale
Last updated on Mar 22, 2019 3:30:pm.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
© 2019 Georgia MLS. All rights reserved.
Today's Market Trends for Dekalb County, GA *
* All data pertains to single-family homes