Douglas County, GA
Douglas County is a county located in the north central portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 132,403, nearly double that in 1990. The county seat is Douglasville.
Douglas County is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area. It has attracted new residents as jobs have increased in the Atlanta area.
- Sweetwater Creek State Park is host to the ruins of a Civil War-era mill destroyed in General Sherman's campaign through Georgia.
- Hunter Park is located within the city limits of Douglasville, and it is home to the majority of the sports events held in Douglas County. It is home to the Douglas County Boys and Girls Club.
- Deer Lick Park is located in the northeast corner of the county and is the third-largest park in the county. It is also home to sporting events.
- Woodrow Wilson Park and Lithia Springs Girls Ball Field are located in Lithia Springs next to Sweetwater Creek. The ballfield has flooded during heavy rain storms.
- Boundary Waters Aquatic Center opened in July 2005 in the southeastern section of the County, and it is home to the Douglas County swim team, the Stingrays. The Center also provides aquatic therapy and swim lessons to the county's citizens for a low fee. Residents outside the county can use the center as well for a slightly higher fee.
Other parks in the county include:
- Post Road Park
- Clinton Nature Preserve
- Bill Arp Park
- Fairplay Park
- Winston Park
- Mount Carmel Ball Field
- Dog River Park/Reservoir
Douglas County is served by the Douglas County School System, the seventeenth largest public school district in Georgia. Based in Douglasville, it operates 19 Elementary Schools, 7 Middle Schools, 5 High Schools, Crossroads Night school, A Performance Learning Center and numerous private academies.
Douglas County (Lithia Springs) is home to a regional academic center of Mercer University, which provides educational programs and extended learning opportunities for working adults. In addition, the county has a campus of West Georgia Technical College, formerly West Central Technical College (main campus in Waco, Georgia); the college provides programs for those seeking higher education in technical fields, as well as adult education and GED classes. The county also is home to Tanner Technical Institute, Strayer University, and Georgia Highlands College.
Search Douglas County, GA Homes for Sale
Last updated on Mar 22, 2019 3:30:pm.
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
© 2019 Georgia MLS. All rights reserved.
Today's Market Trends for Douglas County, GA *
* All data pertains to single-family homes